You are officially a student at Gannon University in the United States, congratulations! Now that you are headed the U.S., you must maintain your F-1 visa status. There are simple things you can do to maintain your status.


Keep your passport valid

Your passport must be valid at least six months into the future. You should check with your home country’s consulate or embassy on how to renew your passport in the United States.

Maintain a full course load

At Gannon University, full -time is defined as 12 credits per semester for undergraduate students, and 9 credits per semester for graduate students. Doctoral students’ full course load is determined by the program. All international students must be enrolled full-time each semester in order to maintain their status. Only one only course (3 credits) may count towards being full-time. Exceptions are made for students in their final semester, to complete their degree program, or students who have medical documentation. Please see the Office of Global Support for more information on a medical reduced course load. You can access the Reduced Course Load form here.

Extend your I-20 as needed

If your I-20 will expire (program end date) before you complete your program, you need to apply for an extension at least 30 days prior to the end date listed on your I-20. You can access the Program Extension form here.

Apply for a new I-20 as needed

If you are changing your major, changing levels (i.e. bachelor’s to master’s), or are exiting the ESL program and going into an academic program, you must apply for a new I-20 to reflect the change in your program. You may also need to provide evidence of funding.

If you have changed your major, click here.

Obtain special permission to work

The Global Support and Student Engagement office may need to provide you with special authorization for you to work. Students on an F-1 visa are permitted to work on-campus without special authorization, but the OGSSE will help you apply for a Social Security Number if you need one. Working off-campus is generally a no-no, unless you have been accepted into an internship that is either related to or required by your program. In this instance, please complete the CPT (Curricular Practical Training) Application here.

Check in with the Office of Global Support & Student Engagement on Check-In Day

Check-In Day is critical to make sure you receive all the orientation and new student information

Contact Us

(814) 871-7000